Jean Lalonde Support Forum

Full Version: Windows variables and working with QAP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question about defined variables in Windows. Does QAP read variables defined in Windows?

I defined a variable for the User and wanted to set a command in QAP but there is a problem. 
I put some codecs (exe files) in a directory:
C:\codecs

Here is the defined variable for User

[Image: 11.png]

Then I wanted to enter the parameter in QAP but unfortunately QAP does not find the flac file in the defined variable

[Image: 22.png]

When I try to run the codec via CMD then everything works

[Image: 33.png]

I'm not sure but I think it should work in QAP  Huh
Hello Endrju,

What happens if you click on Tak (Swedish?) and then try running the Favorite?

According to "Can I use system environment variables in favorite paths?" in the QAP Knowledge Base at https://www.quickaccesspopup.com/can-i-u...ite-paths/, it says "You can also enter a location without path. In this case, the file is searched in the PATH environment variable directories or in app paths in the Windows registry."

Also you are using a Favorite Application. I did a test of a Favorite type document with an mp3 file and it works.

I found it easiest to right-click on the file and select "Add File to Quick Access Popup menu"

Regards, Dale
(2022-08-07 13:08)dr Winchell Wrote: [ -> ]What happens if you click on Tak (Swedish?) and then try running the Favorite?

Hello dr Winchell

If I save Favorite despite the warning then when I try to start Favorite it shows this popup

[Image: 2022-08-07-20-13-59.png]
I checked in the Windows registry and my defined variable is stored there
(2022-08-07 13:24)Endrju Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-08-07 13:08)dr Winchell Wrote: [ -> ]What happens if you click on Tak (Swedish?) and then try running the Favorite?

Hello dr Winchell

If I save Favorite despite the warning then when I try to start Favorite it shows this popup

[Image: 2022-08-07-20-13-59.png]
I checked in the Windows registry and my defined variable is stored there

I think that is from your Application Favorite. Create a Document Favorite and see what results you get.

-dr
(2022-08-07 13:28)dr Winchell Wrote: [ -> ]I think that is from your Application Favorite. Create a Document Favorite and see what results you get.

The result is the same  Sad
(2022-08-07 13:33)Endrju Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-08-07 13:28)dr Winchell Wrote: [ -> ]I think that is from your Application Favorite. Create a Document Favorite and see what results you get.

The result is the same  Sad

Here's the Document Favorite I use to play an mp3 with VLC:

[attachment=277]

How does yours look?
I'm afraid you haven't understood what my problem is. My problem is that I defined the path to the location of the exe file in Windows variables. I did this so that there was no need to type the path to the file and I only needed to type the file name.
Hi Endrju,

I checked if the PATH and PATHEXT were still well processed by QAP and I confirm that they are. But after I added a path to PATH, the change was not immediately visible to QAP. Maybe there is a delay before it is accessible to apps or you have to reload QAP, not sure, but after I reloaded QAP, it processed the new path.

Try reloading QAP after the changes in the environment variables.
(2022-08-07 16:59)Jean Lalonde Wrote: [ -> ]I checked if the PATH and PATHEXT were still well processed by QAP and I confirm that they are. But after I added a path to PATH, the change was not immediately visible to QAP. Maybe there is a delay before it is accessible to apps or you have to reload QAP, not sure, but after I reloaded QAP, it processed the new path.

Try reloading QAP after the changes in the environment variables.

You are right Jean, after restarting QAP everything is processed as it should be. Thank You  Shy
QAP is probably getting a copy of the environment variables from the OS when it is started (even if QAP gets its each time it uses it).
However, there is a problem. If the path in the defined the System Variable contains a gap in the name then the command in QAP is not executed.

For example:

It works
Code:
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\QAP\FLAC

Not working    (Path in quotes or without, does not work)
Code:
"%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Quick Access Popup\KODEKI AUDIO\FLAC"

BTW
In CMD console everything works fine (if the path in the variable contains a gap)

Jean, check it out please
I could not reproduce this issue. I think you should not enclose "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Quick Access Popup\KODEKI AUDIO\FLAC" between quotes.
You are right Jean, the problem was the quotes. After inserting the path (even if it contains a gap) without the quotes, everything works correctly in QAP.

To make it easier to enter environment variables, I used Rapid Environment Editor If I typed in a path (which includes a gap) for an environment variable, the program displayed it in red as an error and this confused me.

[Image: RapidEE.png]  

Here, for example, the path is entered with quotation marks and the program does not signal an error

[Image: 2022-08-16-18-31-20.png]

Thank You Jean