Jean Lalonde Support Forum

Full Version: QAP not popping up (sometimes / most of the time)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since a few days QAP doesn't pop up nicely on both of my machines

• The QAP version?  11.5.7 (64bit) 

• Was it installed using the Setup program or the Portable zip file? (setup) 

• What is your default file manager (if not Windows Explorer)?  (dopus) 

• What is your Windows version? (W11pro) 

It mostly works one time.  Or a few times;  Sometimes it works in Outlook, sometimes it doesn't.  Chrome idem.  Excel idem.  Dopus idem. 
Even the fall-back scenario (ctrl+ctrl) doesn't always work. 

I'v try to exclude/include some app in the options menu.   

It's puzzling me, I don't seem to find logic behind the behaviour.  

Would some of your apps running in admin mode? In this case, because QAP running in "non-admin" mode, it cannot open its menu over these windows.

See: https://www.quickaccesspopup.com/why-is-...e-windows/
@jr_gn
I had the exact same problem with the QAP main menu on a HP laptop with Win11 Pro.
This only affected the main menu (hotkey F12), a submenu (hotkey CTRL-WIN-X) was not affected.
I concluded it was the "special key software" on the laptop because it went away after an update.
(Most laptops have keyboards with some key combos involving the "Fn" key, with or without "Fn lock", they often require software to work properly.)

@Jean
This is only the case for the QAP main menu, submenus assigned to hotkeys pop up regardless if the window in focus run in admin context.
The exception is the WIN-X hotkey, if a window in admin context has focus, Windows display the default WIN-X menu. With a window in user context, my special menu in QAP pops up.

Regards,
joeNOR
Based on the previous answer,  I'm starting to point in the direction of Logi Options.  This is the accompanion of a Logitech MX Master 3 mouse.  There has been assigned shortcuts, but without separate profiles for applications, just the general settings being equal machine-wide.  Still.

Pushing middle mouse button, triggers a hesitation in the system.  As if it doesn't know how to react. 

Will look into it.  But still it is strange the behaviour was not there a few weeks ago. 

[Image: IgikEGs.png]
I've also noticed that it occasionally doesn't pop up.  I haven't reported it, because it only occurs once a week or so (and I use QAP a hundred times per day) and I can't reproduce the error.  I activate QAP via my middle mouse button.  On the few times that it fails to pop up, simply clicking it again fixes it.  I assume that Windows is just using the middle button for something else at those times.  IDK.  I think I already am running QAP as admin, but I'll double check.
A small update.

I've tried so many possibilities, without a solution. This makes QAP sadly unusable for me. The point is that I'm using the same technique (attributing a mouse button to a keyboard shortcut) to launch Greenshot. I do this like 10 times a day, for the last 2 yrs without issues.

Still starting QAP from a mouse button, from a mouse button that has been linked to a keyboard shortcut, or via a keyboard directly just does not work. Or does mostly not work. In Chrome never. In Dopus like always. On the desktop sometimes. In Outlook never. Starting in administrator mode does not help either.

A small light on the horizon... clicking on the taskbar and then the keyboard shortcut does work. Like always.

I can't find any logic.

Is there command line to launch the menu? I could try to trigger it that way?
Strange problem!

Does this happen no matter what shortcut combo you use or try from the mouse and/or from the keyboard?

Are you sure you don't have a shortcut conflict in Windows?

To ensure you don't have a conflict you can try the following:

1. Download HotKeysList by NirSoft.
(Does not require installation or admin).
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hot_keys_list.html

2. Start it, you should see your shortcut combo in the list
(It won't show what program is using each shortcut).

3. Remove the shortcut from all configs (in QAP and other places you know of).

4. Refresh/restart HotKeysList
It the shortcut is gone you don't have a conflict, if it is still there, something else uses the same shortcut.

Good luck hunting! Smile

-jN
>Is there command line to launch the menu? I could try to trigger it that way?

Yes. See: https://www.quickaccesspopup.com/can-i-d...atch-file/
(2022-08-18 07:07)joeNOR Wrote: [ -> ]Does this happen no matter what shortcut combo you use or try from the mouse and/or from the keyboard?

Yes. I've have tried 3 and 2 keys combo, middle mouse button. It doesn't matter.

(2022-08-18 07:07)joeNOR Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure you don't have a shortcut conflict in Windows?

No. But since my shortcut for Greenshot and a bunch of other shortcuts (I also use Jitbits Macrorecorder), I'm well aware of what kind of strokes are already taken, and they are all in a unsuspected range (alt + ctrl + shift + character) , and I experience all strokes are working.

(2022-08-18 07:07)joeNOR Wrote: [ -> ]To ensure you don't have a conflict you can try the following:

1. Download HotKeysList by NirSoft.
(Does not require installation or admin).
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hot_keys_list.html

2. Start it, you should see your shortcut combo in the list
(It won't show what program is using each shortcut).

3. Remove the shortcut from all configs (in QAP and other places you know of).

4. Refresh/restart HotKeysList
It the shortcut is gone you don't have a conflict, if it is still there, something else uses the same shortcut.

-jN

Well, good idea. And shortcut I used (shift + ctrl + y) is not indeed not visible in Hotkeylist.
But still it works as described (on the taskbar to name one).

(2022-08-18 07:07)joeNOR Wrote: [ -> ]Good luck hunting! Smile

I will need luck indeed.
I'll keep looking.
(2022-08-18 07:34)Jean Lalonde Wrote: [ -> ]>Is there command line to launch the menu? I could try to trigger it that way?

Yes. See: https://www.quickaccesspopup.com/can-i-d...atch-file/

Here is a simple Powershell script for starting QAP from the PS command line.
I use it all the time on my Windows Core servers, and QAP never misfires. 

https://forum.quickaccesspopup.com/showt...p?tid=1331

Regards,
jN
I've been having this happen for a while and more often recently. What is your setting for "Maximum number of items in Live folders:" in the "Menu Advanced Options" section?

My suspicion / guess is that the lack of response is because it is busy refreshing. The default is every 300 seconds (5 minutes) .

I have the "Maximum number of items in Live folders:" set quite a bit above the default of 500 (mine is 2222) so I'm thinking QAP is busy refreshing a lot.

I changed the Refresh time to 3,600 seconds (hourly) and it seems much better.

Jean could the System Tray icon be changed while it is refreshing to see if this is when it isn't responding?

-Dale
Thx, I did a uninstall on my desktop, have to find time to reinstall. On my laptop the "Maximum number of items in Live Folders" is eft at 500 items. So I must have left it on my desktop too at default 500. I have to say that QAP works fine on my laptop, just with the middle button of the mouse, as it is intended. And on the laptop there is also LogiOptions installed (I love the Master MX) , so that's not a point of difference. In fact, both machines have almost identical setups as software concerns. I'm a bit autistic in that field.
> Jean could the System Tray icon be changed while it is refreshing to see if this is when it isn't responding?

I'll check this. Added to the wishlist (https://forum.quickaccesspopup.com/showt...p?tid=2121).

@jr_gn: This could be not related but, for the record, my experience with my lastest Logitech mouse software is that it prevented QAP from assigning the Middle Mouse Button. The button remained under the Logitech software control regardless of the QAP configuration. After I unsintalled this software, everything worked as expected and I don't think I miss any feature from my various mouse buttons.