Jean Lalonde Support Forum

Full Version: [TIP] Quick jump to settings with the ms-settings command
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

joeNOR

What?
Using the ms-settings: command to quickly jump to one of the sub-pages, f.ex. Windows Updates.
(This is a variation of my shell: post, using the same QAP settings).

Why?
QAP has extensive support for Windows Apps.
This works superbly in the menu, no problem. The "Immersive Control Panel" in QAP starts the Settings App.
But, I prefer to use the keyboard to jump directly to where I want to go (if possible).

Type of favorite is Application.

Using CMD to jump to Settings
UserVar:
{cmdrun}=%ComSpec%
{cmdjump}=/Q /C start ""
Basic Settings, Application: {cmdrun}
Adv. Settings, Parameters: {cmdjump} "ms-settings:"
(This is the same as the "Immersive Control Panel").

Some examples:

Jump to Windows Update
Adv. Settings, Parameters: {cmdjump} "ms-settings:windowsupdate"

Jump to About (system)
Adv. Settings, Parameters: {cmdjump} "ms-settings:about"

Jump to Network
Adv. Settings, Parameters: {cmdjump} "ms-settings:network"

Use
Create favorites with different Adv. Settings Parameters.

Regards,
joeNOR
Thanks Joe.

I was wondering if the pair of double-quotes in {cmdjump} were necessary. I tried removing them to find that they are required. Can you explain why? I could not figure this out looking at the cmd documentation.

I take note of your tip for a future "QAP Tips and tricks" newsletter. I know you are a big user variables promoter but, in the newsletter tips, I try to keep them as simple as possible and focus on one concept at the time. This is why I'll simplify this a bit and post is without using the variables:

Basic Settings, Application: %ComSpec%
Adv. Settings, Parameters: /Q /C start "" "ms-settings:<page>"

Replace "<page>" with the Windows Settings section you want to open, for example:
"ms-settings:windowsupdate"
"ms-settings:about"
"ms-settings:network"

Jean

joeNOR

Hi!

Of course, do as you see fit, if you can use some of it that is just great!
You could make it even simpler by using just cmd and not the %ComSpec% system variable. It may not be that known for some users.

I tend to assign system variables to QAP vars, makes it simpler for me to read the config and the ini file.
Mixing QAP vars, {someVar} and system vars like %anotherVar% just makes my head hurt! Big Grin

I don't remember from where I got the double quotes, it was back when I experimented with the shell: command and had to dig into how cmd parses the input. I've been messing around with both cmd and pwsh, and running scripts in SSH sessions. So I just write down syntaxes that work for a given case, but not the reason why they work....sorry!

-joeNOR

EDIT: If I remember correctly, the double quotes are connected to the START command, not cmd.

joeNOR

For those interested, here is the list with the different "links" to settings app.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ttings-app

-joeNOR

joeNOR

Another variant, using Explorer.exe to achieve the same without quotes or other options:

Type of favorite is Application.

Using Explorer to jump to Settings
Basic Settings, Application: explorer
Adv. Settings, Parameters: ms-settings:
(This is the same as the "Immersive Control Panel").

[Image: Wl4WxPL.png]

[Image: aiRZnHl.png]
Some examples:

Jump to Windows Update
Adv. Settings, Parameters: ms-settings:windowsupdate

Jump to About (system)
Adv. Settings, Parameters: ms-settings:about

Jump to Network
Adv. Settings, Parameters: ms-settings:network

Use
Create favorites with different Adv. Settings Parameters.

Regards,
joeNOR

PS! I don't use this because I use the shell: command (in another post) with different file managers, and I prefer to not mix ways to do stuff.

PS2! Some other URIs
Open the Store app:
ms-windows-store://home

Open the Store app, Productivity tab:
ms-windows-store://navigatetopage/?Id=Productivity

Open the Screen Clip Tool:
ms-screenclip:
(Useful if you want to free up Shift-Win-S for something else, but still use the tool...or just prefer using QAP for this/assign it to another hotkey)

JL Edit: I added screen captures to your post. I'll mention it in the next QAP newsletter. Thanks again.

JL Edit2: And for those who jumped directly to this reply, don't miss this ms-settings list.