Jean Lalonde Support Forum

Full Version: Live Folders - Preview (icons of associated programs)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any way to set, that file icons associated to programs are shown in the preview (Live Folders). For example, I have all my music files associated with foobar2000 and I would like its icons to be displayed in the preview Live Folders

[Image: 2021-05-22-10-13-001-xx.jpg]

[Image: 2021-05-22-10-14-002-xx.jpg]
Preliminary note: If you are not familiar with the Windows Registry and caution caution when using the Registry Editor, please read
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...78d9e07b11

> Is there any way to set, that file icons associated to programs are shown in the preview (Live Folders). For example, I have all my music files associated with foobar2000 and I would like its icons to be displayed in the preview Live Folders

QAP is relying on info from Windows Registry to set document's menu icons. More specifically, QAP looks for the document's "class root" in:

\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ext (where ".ext" is the extension of the document)

For example, on my system where the media reader VLC is installed, for the OGG extension
\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogg returns the class root VLC.ogg

Then, QAP uses this value to find the default icon in \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\[b]VLC.ogg\DefaultIcon[/b]
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe",0

This made me find a bug in QAP because icon resources with index ",0" must be replaced with ",1". There is no icon ",0" in icon files. In this case, QAP should use the icon at index ",1". This will be tested in the next beta release.

In your case, could you check what are the corresponding values for your .ogg files, possibly associated to foobar2000?

Jean
The problem is that in the registry branch e.g
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3
the associated foobar program does not appear

[Image: 2021-05-22-18-03-007.jpg]

[Image: 2021-05-22-18-04-008.jpg]

In this registry branch, the extension .ogg does not exist at all

All file associations with the program exist in the branch
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Roaming\OpenWith\FileExts

[Image: 2021-05-22-18-00-006.jpg]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Roaming does not exist on my system.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts could be used *by QAP* as a fallback method is the current method returns nothing.

But this is a long shot. For example, with extension .OGG:

[Image: srQd2SW.png]

In \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ogg\OpenWithList
QAP would get value for "MRUList" (most recently used list): gabcdef
QAP would retrieve the value for the first letter (the most recently used) of the MRUList "g": vlc.exe

After that, to find the full path of the executable file
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\vlc.exe
QAP would retrieve the default value: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

Then, QAP would add ",1" to form the icon resource value:
C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe,1

In addition to being a long shot, I'm not sure the MRUList is a safe value to use on any system. For example, if user never used the "Open with" command, is this value usable?

Another approach on the QAP side could be to add in "Options, Menu icons" a list of icons association for document extensions. Something similar to the QAP icon replacement option:

[Image: ZsNrokG.png]
I made the change you suggested, then restarted PC but unfortunately no change.

Quote:Another approach on the QAP side could be to add in "Options, Menu icons" a list of icons association for document extensions. Something similar to the QAP icon replacement option:

I think this is a very good idea, it would be very helpful  Smile
[Image: 2021-05-23-08-31-001.jpg]
> I made the change you suggested, then restarted PC but unfortunately no change.

Oops! I was not clear enough (I'll edit it). I was not suggesting to change it in your configuration. I was describing a method that could be added in QAP to get the icon path from the FileExts section.

*** You should remove the entry you added to make sure Foobar2000 is not impacted by this.

What you could do is create the \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VLC.ogg\DefaultIcon entry and, if required the \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogg described in my previous post and cited here:

(2021-05-22 09:28)Jean Lalonde Wrote: [ -> ]QAP is relying on info from Windows Registry to set document's menu icons. More specifically, QAP looks for the document's "class root" in:

\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ext (where ".ext" is the extension of the document)

For example, on my system where the media reader VLC is installed, for the OGG extension
\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogg returns the class root VLC.ogg

Then, QAP uses this value to find the default icon in \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\[b]VLC.ogg\DefaultIcon[/b]
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe",0

This made me find a bug in QAP because icon resources with index ",0" must be replaced with ",1". There is no icon ",0" in icon files. In this case, QAP should use the icon at index ",1". This will be tested in the next beta release.

In your case, could you check what are the corresponding values for your .ogg files, possibly associated to foobar2000?

Jean

Or you could just wait for the new option I described earlier.

Jean
OK, I'll wait for the new feature.

[Image: 2021-05-23-11-40-002.jpg]

Foobar has different icons for different types of files. By looking at the colour of the icon, I know what files are in the folder. So this would be a very practical and useful feature.
Ideally, Foobar would do a better job when registering its icons in Windows.

I'll move this thread to the "Suggestion" section a add an item to the wishlist for this new option.
The custom default document icons option can now be tested in beta release v11.5.6.9.2.
https://forum.quickaccesspopup.com/showt...p?tid=2010
It looks good now, thank you Jean

[Image: 225.png]

I have this question, if I would like an icon for e.g. program to be responsible for several extensions could this be done in one string? The point is not to multiply many entries (one entry, one extension) example below
Code:
jpg;png;tif=D:\FastStone Image Viewer\FSViewer\FSViewer.exe,1
> The point is not to multiply many entries (one entry, one extension)

Good point. I'll use the "+" character to separate multiple extensions. This will be in the next beta release v11.5.6.9.3.
(2022-05-03 14:16)Jean Lalonde Wrote: [ -> ]Good point. I'll use the "+" character to separate multiple extensions. This will be in the next beta release v11.5.6.9.3.

This is very good news

PS.
I encountered a problem with the location of the custom folder. When the location is changed to something other than the default location, QAP cannot find the icon file and displays an error message.

[Image: foo-icons.png]

Installation version
The custom icons folder does to prevent from entering the full path of icons files. It's goal is to open a custom folder when you select an icon in the Edit favorites dialog box.
(2022-05-04 07:58)Jean Lalonde Wrote: [ -> ]The custom icons folder does to prevent from entering the full path of icons files. It's goal is to open a custom folder when you select an icon in the Edit favorites dialog box.

OK, thank you for clarifying Jean
Multiple extensions for document icons are now supported in the latest beta release:
https://forum.quickaccesspopup.com/showt...35#pid5235
(2022-05-05 17:04)Jean Lalonde Wrote: [ -> ]Multiple extensions for document icons are now supported in the latest beta release:
https://forum.quickaccesspopup.com/showt...35#pid5235

Works as it should, thank you Jean  Smile