Jean Lalonde Support Forum

Full Version: [TOOLS] Everything by voidtools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Link
https://www.voidtools.com

NOTE! This tool may require elevation to admin privilege (depending on setup).

Purpose
A simple file search tool for Windows with a boatload of command line options and several different options for use (f.ex. install a service to avoid UAC prompt).
When it runs elevated, file search (by name/location, not content) is greased lightning on NTFS volumes because of low-level access.
Portable or install (service). Can be configured to read FAT volumes, and search in file content (slow).

Favourite
UserVar:
{tools}=C:\MyTools\Search\
Type: Application

Basic Settings, Application: {tools}Everything.exe
Adv. Settings, Parameters: -name-part {Input:Enter part of filename or with wildcard}

Use
Trigger the favourite, enter file name, hit Enter, done!

Regards,
joeNOR
The tool doesn't need elevation as long as the service is installed.
Using this method to invoke it you loose the benefit of show results while you type.
The better way to start it from QAP is simply a hotkey to the exe.
Even better there is now a deskband toolbar which shows an Everything search box in the taskbar.
It may require elevation depending on the setup.
I literally write in my post that you can install the service to avoid UAC, this is also easy to find in Help/the website.

The shortut is obviously meant to search for a specific file or pattern, shouldn't be that hard to understand.
You can clear the search field and show as you type works as normal.

The "better" way is a matter of opinion.
(2020-11-03 13:47)joeNOR Wrote: [ -> ]It may require elevation depending on the setup.
I literally write in my post that you can install the service to avoid UAC, this is also easy to find in Help/the website.

The shortut is obviously meant to search for a specific file or pattern, shouldn't be that hard to understand.
You can clear the search field and show as you type works as normal.

The "better" way is a matter of opinion.

Agreed.
I use Everything since its very first version years ago on many systems
and have some experience in how to get most from it.
The command line parameter makes more sense if you add the current location
with QAP functions and get the result from this point.
I've also used Everything for several years.

But, as Jean mentioned in an email when we talked about a "Tools" section on the forum.
The range of QAP users is large, from those with little to no PC-knowledge, all the way to IT professionals with years of experience.

So, it is pretty difficult to write these kind of posts with the right technical level.
My goal is to inform about tools I use almost daily, with some simple examples, the rest of the "research" I leave to those users interested in diving deeper.
Is is impossible (at least for me) to cover every level of technical possibilities or complexities.
I use VoidTools Everything search tool instead of Windows' built-in search. On my desktop and laptop, hitting the Windows key and typing "Everything" would make that tool show up first on the Start menu, which means that I could add the Enter key to the mix and quickly open the tool. That has become muscle memory for me when searching.

Ever since a recent Windows update, a new option shows up on the start menu, above Everything: "Make everything bigger" in system settings. This only happens on my desktop, making the process to quickly open the tool different on different computers. I want the "Search Everything" app to show up first, so that it's selected first and hitting enter just opens it.

Alternatively, I could change my muscle memory to type in "Search" (which makes "Search Everything" show up first, for now at least), or add a press of the down arrow to get to the next options down, but I'd really prefer to adjust the search results within Windows if possible. Any ideas?