Jean Lalonde Support Forum

Full Version: [Tip] Start group on new virtual desktop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since Windows 10 supports (a very basic form of) virtual desktops I tried to include this feature in a group type QAP favorite.
There is already a nicely documented tip from Jean how to use groups.
[Tips] Create a group to switch to a recurring task requiring multiple windows

I was surprised how easy it is to launch the group applications on a new fresh and clean virtual desktop.
All you have to do is insert a Macro Snippet on top of the group applications list that sends a "WIN + CTRL+ D" key sequence to open a virtual new desktop. 

For those who are not familiar with the virtual desktop Windows feature: 

WIN + CTRL+ D       
adds a new virtual desktop (the key sequence above)

Win + CTRL + →       
Win + CTRL + ←
switches between virtual desktops

Win + CTRL + F4
closes the current virtual desktop

boboris

Thanks for the tip, it is extremely useful, I used several times with my collegues
(2020-11-01 10:55)PowerJack Wrote: [ -> ]All you have to do is insert a Macro Snippet on top of the group applications list that sends a "WIN + CTRL+ D" key sequence to open a virtual new desktop. 

For those not familiar with QAP Snippets of type macro, here is how you can create this snippet: add a favorite of type "Snippet", in the "Advanced Settings" tab select the type "Macro mode" and, back in the "Basic Settings", enter "^#d" for Ctrl+Win+D (or "#^d", the order of the two first characters is not important).

[Image: pWlhCbr.png]
Unfortunately, my preferred file manager Directory Opus does not seem to support Win 10 Virtual Desktops. New listers open with DOpusRT (the utility used by QAP to open folders in DOpus) are always open on the same Virtual Desktop where DOpus is already running. I'll have to check on DOpus forum to see if there is a solution to this.